For the flank steak :
1/2 gallon milk
Salt and pepper
1 white onion
1/2 cup red wine
For the salad:
1 bunch spinach and spring mix
1 cup toasted walnuts
2-3 green apples cut into matchsticks
For the dressing :
1 – 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
The trick to a good steak of any kind is a perfect marinade! Most people go for acidic marinades on instinct thinking “the stronger the better” . The truth is that with acidic marinades such as vinegar,
wine, citrus, and tomatoes you run a risk of making your meat tough! The acid will initially work well on the surface but with time the protein will contract and squeeze water out! Milk however will tenderize the meat throughout without any toughening due to the lactase enzymes that break down proteins. Flank steak benefits tremendously from this kind of treatment since you can marinade up to 24hrs!
1. Marinate steak in milk up to 24hrs.
2. Season with salt and pepper before adding olive oil to a medium high skillet. Brown both sides and remove.
3. Add julienned onions and saute until tender.
4. Return flank steak to pan and add red wine. Saute until desired temp. Add more wine/oil as needed.
5. Combine ingredients for salad and dressing as listed.